Electrical Regulations


As a landlord there are many things that need to be considered prior to letting out your home, yet the one that often goes ‘under the radar’ can be Electrical safety of your homes.
This causes agents and professional landlord’s alike the most concern as the legislation is not as strict or clear as other regulations when letting out your property; yet probably the most important when you consider that:
Did you know?

1)    People living in rented or shared accommodation are seven times more likely to have fires,
2)    About 400 people a year die in accidental house fires,
3)    Not having a working smoke alarm doubles your risk of death,
4)    Faulty electrics cause around 7,000 house fires a year,

The Consumer Protection Act 1987 covers that anything supplied to a consumer must be ‘safe’. Therefore, any person (including landlords) supplying electrical equipment must ensure its safe and will not cause danger as outlined in Electrical Safety Regulation 1994.
Landlords must also ensure the fixed wiring in a property is ‘safe’ as per the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 11 and although there is no statutory requirement to undergo a safety check by a qualified engineer (unlike gas installation & use), however ‘best practice’ would suggest certification and regular inspections as recommended action.
Portable appliances would need to be PAT (portable appliance) tested as well as being supplied with operating instructions, otherwise they would be deemed unsafe and should be removed from the property.
Confused as yet??
And that’s before we start on Part P Building Regulations and Plugs and Sockets Regulations etc 1994………………………..

Good news is available for you. If you’re unsure of what you should do to protect that investment or even your family home, do not delay as you may well be ‘playing with fire’, please contact ‘Your Housing Guardians’ team on 0121 488 0717 for advice.

Energy Performance Certificates:

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) as the name suggests, rates the energy efficiency of your property and are a legal requirement under the Housing Act 2004 whenever a property is either:-
1)    Newly Built,
2)    Sold or
3)    Rented,
As the landlord or vendor you must by law provide an EPC for potential buyers and tenants within 30 days of marketing your property to sell or rent.
An EPC contains:-
1)    information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs,
2)    recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money,
3)    Gives a property an energy efficiency rating scale from A (being the most efficient) to G (the least efficient).
4)    The document is valid (unless amendments to the property are carried out) for 10 years.

Example Graph:









Should you need assistance sourcing a Domestic Energy Assessor, our assessors can provide EPCs in a timely and cost-effective manner, so please call ‘Your Housing Guardians’ offices on 0121 448 0717 to discuss your requirements be that Residential or Commercial.

Gas Safety Regulations

Technician servicing the gas boiler for hot water and heating

As a landlord there are many things for you to take into consideration. There are ever changing regulations and increasing competition in the rental market, you might be faced with problem tenants or loss of rental income – to name just a few.
As many people would already be a where of, as a landlord you are legally required to provide a ‘landlord gas safety certificate’ (known as a CP12) since the initial Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1988.
What this entails is any person renting out property via a tenancy agreement or a licence, by law, it’s your responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months. This must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer (formerly CORGI) for all pipe work, boilers, other gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

You must also keep copies of all the paperwork. You’ll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your tenants change, they’ll need a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before they move in.
Recently updated legislation from 1st October 2015 also recommends installing a Carbon Monoxide (CO2) detector in any area where solid fuel is burned, although fitting them in the same room as boilers, gas fires, portable appliances, etc. of course shows a ‘best practice’ approach to these changes.
This clearly demonstrates the best way to make sure your tenants are safe from the potential dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, however a detector should never replace regular maintenance and/or the annual safety check.
Should any client landlord who may be unsure on what to do next, please contact ‘Your Housing Guardians’ team on 0121 488 0717 for advice.